Cities

Nagapattinam

HISTORY

Nagapattinam district was carved out by bifurcating the composite Thanjavur district on 18.10.1991.  Nagappatinam is a unique District with all its historical and cultural significance. Nagappattinam is one of the constituents of chola mandalam, acclaimed as the Most prominent among the ancient Tamil Kingdoms. Its salient features more than anything else have contributed to the glory of the cholamandalam.

Costal town Nagappattinam was the Headquarters of a region during the period This region has been named after Kshathiriya sigamani. One of the titles of Raja Raja Cholan. Nagappattinam was also known as ‘Cholakula Vallippatinam’. The Heritage of the town is found in the Burmese historical text of 3rd century B.C. The same text gives evidences of a Budha Vihar built by the great Ashoka. The chineseTraveler Hiuen Tsang. Also mentioned the Budha vihar in his book. Nagappattinam is mentioned as Padarithitha in ancient Buddhist literature According to scholars avurithidal the name of the part of Nagappattinam might have been derived from the word ‘’Padarithitha” is the name of the fruit tree “Bhirtree” very common in this region.

In ancient times, “NagaNadu”, “Nagappattinam” referred only to Sri Langa. Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka had close links with this town Nagappattinam. “Animangalam Copperplate” of Kulothungachola notes that “Kasiba Thera” [Buddhist Monk] Renovated the Buddhist temple in 6th century AD with the the help of Buddhist monks of ‘Naganadu’ This ‘nagar annam vihar’ later came to be known as ‘Nagananavihar’.

Pallava King Rajasimha [690-728A D] permitted a chinese king to build Buddha vihar in Nagappattinam. Hence there existed a chinese built budha vihar inNagappattinam. According to Anaimangalam copper plate of Kulothunga I , sriVijayathunga Varman of sri Vijaya kingdam built Raja Raja Perumpalli in the name of Raja Raja Cholanand [Rajendra Chola Perumpalli] in the name of Rajendra Chola in1090A D. This budha vihar also called Sudamani vihar’.Excavations were conducted by the Archaeological department at Vellipalayam in Nagappattinam and more than 300. Budha statues were unearthed and kept at the Museum in Chennai. This dilapidated Budist tower was razed down 200years ago.

Nagore was called so because it was inhabited by the Nagars. The Nagappatinam Kayaroganam Shiva temple existed even in the 6th century Appar,Sambandar and Sundarar were associated with this temple ;Kayaroganam Shivatemple is based on the “Laguleesa Pusuptha Cult” .Soundaraja Perumal ViashnavaTemple is one of the notable features of Nagappattinam. This favorite town of Chola Kings was also celebrated latter;by Vijaya Nagara Kings. Portuguese had a commercial contact with this town during the Tanjore Nayakkas rule [Sevvppa Nayakkar] and [Acchuthappa Nayakkar] Portguese commercial centure was eastablished in 1554;’ Since then christianity began to take root under the commercial contact, 10 -villages are taken control of by Portugese traders With the advent of Portugese Velankanni Church came into existence.

In 1658, the Dutch tried to evict the Portugese town Nagappattinam to establish the commercial centre there under the agreement reached between King Vijaya Nayakkar of Thanjavoorand the Dutch on 05-01-1662. The following ten villages namely Nagappattinam Port;Puthur;Muttam, Poruvalancheri, Anthonippettai, Karureppankadu, AzhingiMangalam, Sangamangalam, Thiruthinamangalam, Manjakollai, Nariyankudi were transferred from the Portugese to the Dutch.

Ten Christian churches and a hosptial were built by the Dutch. They also released coins with the name Nagappattinam; engraved in Tamil letters. Accordingto the agreement between the first Maratta King ‘Egoji’ of Tanjore and the Dutch. Naagappattinam and surrounding villages were handed over to the Dutch.on 30.12.1676. Latter this town fell into the hands of the British in 1781after the prolonged struggles 277 villages with Nagur as the Headquarters were handed over to the East India companyin1779 Gold coins bearing the names ‘Nagappattinam Varagan’ and ‘Nagappattinam chornam’ were in circulation during Tanjore Maratha Kings period. Thus the Nagappattinam has the history of over 2000 years for its credit. Today Nagappattinam remains the Head quarters of Nagappattinam District.

Nagapattinam district, the land of communal harmony, was carved out by bifurcating the composite Thanjavur district on 18.10.1991. This district hastraditionally been referred to as East Thanjavur and Paddy granary of South India Nagapattinam District lies on the shores of the Bay of Bengal between Northern Latitude 10.10' and 11.20' East Longtitute 79.15' and 79.50' This is peninsular delta District surrounded by Bay of Bengal on the East, Palk Straint on the South and land on the West and Northern Side. This District is predominantly, A Coastal District having a large coast line of 141 kilometres. This District has a numerous places of historical importance. Nagapattinam is an old Port Town.

This District is having an area of 2715.83 Sq. Kms in its fold. The DistrictHeadquaters is Nagapattinam. This district is enveloping 11 Panchayat Unions, 4 Municipalties, 8 Town Panchayats on its Development Side. On the Revenue Side,it is housing 2 Revenue divisions with 4 and 3 Taluks respectively and 523 revenueVillages. Decades back to Sangam-age, NAGAPATTINAM district was ruled over by Chola Kings and by Pandiyas for a short while.

Among the Chola kings, King Karikalan renovated and built the renowned port of Poompuhar (located in Nagapattinam district).

Kosagan - the brilliant and illustrious king of Chola age built numerous shiva temples including the famous Singaravelar temple at Sikkal.

Nagapattinam is one of the oldest port cities of Chola empire. It was called as "Naval Pattinam"- The city of ships. During 1620 AD, a Danish settlement was established at Tharangambadi in this district.

Maraimalai Adigal;
Maraimalai Adikal was born on 15 July 1876 at Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu. He studied Tamil under Ve. Narayanasamy Pillai. He had his schooling in the Wesleyan Christian High School. He enjoyed the friendship of Sundaram Pillai, author of Manonmaniyam. He settled in Madras thanks to the efforts of Sandamarutam Somasundara Nayakar. He joined the Madras Christian College as a Tamil teacher. He founded the Saiva Siddhanta Maha Samajam. He edited 'Gnanasagaram' in which appeared Kokilambal's letters, and Kumudavalli. He edited the English journal, 'Oriental Mystic Myna.' He was a research scholar proficient in Tamil, Sanskrit and English. He translated Kalidasa's Sakuntalai into Tamil. He advocated purism in Tamil and changed his very name 'Vedachalam' into 'Maraimalai Adikal'. He later renounced family life. Contrary to practice, he began writing a commentary on the Thiruvasagam. His famous research work is Manikkavacakarin varalarum kalamum. He passed away on 15 September 1950.
His original name was VEthAchalam. He was one of the earliest proponents of the pure Thamizh movement which stood against the Sanskritization of pure Thamizh words. Because the name, VEthachalam was Sanskrit, he changed his name to the pure Thamizh equivalent, MaRaimalai. In his literary works also he used pure Thamizh words. He was proficient in Sanskrit and English and was influenced by the style of English authors. He is well remembered for his excellence in writing in prose. He was one of the earliest Thamizh authors who showed interest in research especially in the field of literary policy. Like his contemporaries he was a staunch Saivaite but had a social reforming motif.

Nagapattinam Tourism:
There is a large number of ice factories for preserving the fish caught. Agriculture is the most important occupation in the inner parts of the district. It is practiced in the villages surrounding the town. 

It has vast farmlands where rice is cultivated. These farmlands are irrigated through an extensive network of canals from the distributaries of the river Cauvery.Nagapattinam is known for its hot summers and warm winters, owing to its unique position by the sea.

The temperatures remain for most part of the year in between a maximum high of 32.0 degrees Celsius and a minimum low of 24.6 degrees Celsius.

Thus, the best time to plan a tour to Nagapattinam would be during the monsoons when the coast is at its most beautiful or during the winters when the weather is a natural help in discovering the exquisite beauty of the Tamilian coastline during a tour to Nagapattinam.

Nagapattinam is located close to many temples, hosting the Soundararajan Perumal Koil, Neelayadhakshi Amman Koil and close to the church at Velankanni and the Nagore Dargah at Nagore (about 7 km north of Nagapattinam).

Lord Murugan temple is situated in Sikkal, which is 5 km away from Nagapattinam.Nagapattinam is well connected to the nearby cities like Tiruchirapalli, Tanjevur, Thiruvarur and Nagore by rail and road.


The nearest airport is at Tiruchirapalli, 147 kms from Nagapattinam. Extensive networks of roads and rails connect it with Chennai, Madurai, Tiruchirapalli, Pondicherry and Thanjevur.

Nagapattinam is home to a number of hotels and resorts, all of which are fully equipped to provide warmth and hospitality to all the guests to the city.

Koothanur
Located at a distance of 45 kilometers from downtown Nagapattinam, Koothanur is associated with the life of the great Tamil poet Ottakkoothar. The place is famous for the magnificent temple dedicated to this poet. The temple complex has a separate temple for Goddess Saraswati, the goddess of learning and arts.

Kodikkarai
Kodikkarai is situated just 68 kilometers from the downtown Nagapattinam. The place has been developed as a backwater and bird sanctuary. The quiet destination attracts a lot of honeymoon couples.

Mannarkudi
Mannarkudi situated at a distance of 56 kilometers from Nagapattinam is famous for the Vaishnava shrine called Rajagopalaswamy temple.

Tourism

Places of attraction:
1.Nagapattinam - seaport
2.Poompugar - art gallery
3.Kodiakarai - Wold Life Sanctuary
4.Darankampadi - Danish Port

Places of worship:
1.Velankanni - Shrine Velankanni
2.Nakoor - Famous Masque
3.Mayiladudurai - Mayuranathar Temple
4.Thirukadaiyur - Lord sivan temple
5.Sikkal - Lord Muruga temple
6.Vaithiswaran koil - Lord sivan temple
7.Thiruvenkadu - Lord sivan temple
8.Sirkali - Lord sivan temple
9.Ettukudi - Lord Muruga temple

List of Hotels and Restaurants
1. A class   19
2. B class  198
3. c class  177

Train Timings

s.no Train Arrival Departure
no 
1   6875   437      4.40
2.  872    9.01    9.05
3.  878    12.3    12.35
4.  6362   15.2    15.35
5.  876    20.35   20.4
6.  871    6.37    6.4
7.  6361   11.1    11.15
8.  877    13.52   13.55
9.  875    18.02   18.05
10.  6876   21.2    21.25

Madurai

History of  Madurai:
It is narrated in legend that Madurai was originally a forest known as Kadambavanam. One day, a farmer named Dhananjaya who was passing through the forest, saw Indra (The king of the gods), worshipping a swayambhu (self created Lingam ) under kadamba tree. Dhananjaya, the farmer immediately reported this to King Kulasekara Pandya. Kulasekara Pandya cleared the forest and built a temple around the Lingam. A city was soon planned with the temple as its centre. On the day the city was to be named, Lord Shiva is said to have appeared and drops of nectar from his hair fell on the town. So, the place was named Madurai - mathuram meaning "sweetness" in Tamil.

Madurai has a rich historical background in the sense that Lord Shiva himself performed sixty-four wonders called "Thiruvilaiyadals".

As early as the 3rd century BC, Megasthanes visited Madurai. Later many people from Rome and Greece visited Madurai and established trade with the Pandya kings. Madurai flourished till 10th century AD when it was captured by Cholas the arch rivals of the Pandyas.

The Cholas ruled Madurai from 920 AD till the beginning of the 13th century. In 1223 AD Pandyas regained their kingdom and once again become prosperous. Pandian Kings patronised Tamil language in a great way. During their period, many master-pieces were created. "Silapathikaram", the great epic in Tamil was written based on the story of Kannagi who burnt Madurai as a result of the injustice caused to her husband Kovalan. In April 1311, Malik Kafur, the general of Alauddin Khilji who was then the ruler of Delhi, reached Madurai and raided and robbed the city for precious stones, jewels, and other rare treasures. This led to the subsequent raids by other Muslim Sultans. In 1323, the Pandya kingdom including Madurai became a province of the Delhi empire, under the Tughlaks.

The 1371, the Vijayanagar dynasty of Hampi captured Madurai and Madurai became part of the Vijayanagar empire. Kings of this dynasty were in habit of leaving the captured land to governors called Nayaks. This was done for the efficient management of their empire. The Nayaks paid fixed amount annually to the Vijayanagar empire. After the death of Krishna Deva Raya (King of Vijayanagar empire) in 1530 AD, the Nayaks became independent and ruled the territories under their control. Among Nayaks, Thirumalai Nayak (1623-1659) was very popular, even now he is popular among people, since, it was he who contributed to the creation of many magnificent structures in and around Madurai. The Raja Gopuram of the Meenakshi Amman Temple, The Pudu Mandapam and The Thirumalai Nayakar's Palace are living monuments to his artistic fervor.

Madurai started slipping into the hands of the British's East India Company. In 1781, British appointed their representatives to look after Madurai. George Procter was the first collector of Madurai.

Now after India's independence, Madurai is one of the major districts of Tamilnadu State. In 1985, the Vast Madurai district was bifurcated into two districts namely Madurai and Dindugul Districts. Subsequently in 1997, Madurai district was bifurcated into two districts namely Madurai and Theni Districts. In Madurai District, there are 10 State Assembly constituencies and two parliament constituencies.

Madurai is surrounded by several mountains. The Madurai city has 3 hills as its city boundary. Yanaimalai, Nagamalai, Pasumalai named after Elephant, Snake and Cow respectively. It is famous for Jasmine Flowers. Jasmine flowers are transported to other cities of India from Madurai.


Sri Meenakshi - Sundareswarar Temple

Timings : The temple is usually open between 0500hrs and 1230hrs and again between 1600 hrs and 21.30 hrs.

Synonymous with Madurai is the Meenakshi Sundareswarar twin Temple, the pivot around which the city has evolved. The Meenakshi Temple complex is literally a city - one of the largest of its kind in India and undoubtedly one of the oldest too. The temple grew with the contribution of each dynasty and victorious monarchs, into an enormous complex extending over an area of 65000 Sq m. The temple first came in to being 2000 years ago and was substantially expanded during the regime of Thirumalai Nayak(1623-55 AD).

Lord Siva in his incarnation as Sundareswarar and his fish-eyed spouse, Meenakshi, are enshrined in this twin temple. There are four massive gateways enclosing these two shrines. Even a casual visitor is fascinated by the many paintings and sculptures.

A striking feature of the temple is the astonishing structure know as “Ayiramkaal Mandapam” or the Hall of Thousand Pillars and each pillar features high, ornate, bold sculptures that look life like. View from any angle these pillars appear to be in a straight line, an architectural masterpiece indeed In the outermost corridors are situated the matchless musical pillars carved out of stones. When it is tapped, each pillar produces different musical note.
Thirumalai Nayak Palace

Timings : The Palace is open for visitors between 0900hrs and 1300 hrs and again between 1400 hrs and 1700 hrs. Entrance Fee. Rs.1/-

About 1.5 Kms from the Meenakshi temple, this palace was built in 1636 by the ruler whose name it bears. The imposing edifice is famous for the “Stuccowork” on its domes and impressive arches. The Sorgavilasam (Celestial Pavilion), measuring 75m x 52m, constructed entirely of brick and mortar without the support of a single rafter or girder, is a marvel of indo-Saracenic architectural style. Among other striking features of the palace are the massive white pillars, several of which line the corridor that runs along the courtyard. Connected by high decorated arches, these pillars measure 20m in height and have a circumference of 4m. Elsewhere, there are polished black stone pillars of varying heights. It was King Thirumalai Nayak’s grandson who demolished much of the fine structure and removed most of the jewels and woodcarvings in order to build his own palace in Tiruchirapalli. (His dream never came true).  

Thanks to Lord Napier, the then Governor of Madras, who partially restored the palace in 1866-72, and the subsequent restoration works carried out several years ago, today, we get to see the Entrance Gate, The Main Hall and the Dance Hall. There’s daily sound and light show in English at 1845 hrs and in Tamil at 2015 hrs. This half an hour show extols the virtues of King Thirumalai, particularly his passion for arts, his victories in battle and his love for his subjects.

Tickets for the show: Adults Rs.10/-- Children Rs.5/-

Thirupparankundram Temple

It is located 8 Kms South of Madurai Railway Junction. The temple here is one of the six abodes of Lord Subramanya. Its innermost shrine is cut out of a solid rock.

Alagar koil

About 21 Kms North East of Madurai, stands a celebrated Vishnu Temple dedicated to Lord Alagar. The temple is situated on a hill amidst panoramic surroundings. The shrine is know as Alagarkoil and the hill , Solaimalai. The temple also contain some beautiful carvings and makes the visit rewarding. Palamudirsolai, one of the six abodes of Lord Subramaniya is located atop the Hill.

Gandhi Museum
Timings: 1000hrs to 1300 hrs and 1400 hrs to 1730 hrs. (Open all days)

Housed in the old Palace of Rani Mangammal, the Gandhi Museum depicts the highlights of the freedom struggle and contains a picture gallery of the Gandhian movement. Also can be seen are a gallery of relics, Khadi and village industries section and South Indian Handicrafts section.

Mariamman Teppakulam
Mariamman Teppakulam is a beautiful square tank spread over a huge area of almost 16 acres, located about 5Kms East of Meenakshi Temple. The tank is the scene of the colourful float festival held in January/February to celebrate the birth anniversary of King Thirumalai Nayak, who built this tank. The deities of Meenakshi and Sundareswarar are placed in a float, called “Teppam”, decorated with flowers and illuminated with hundred of lights. This float is taken around the tank to the sound of traditional music. On the Northern side of the tank a temple is dedicated to Mariamman , a famous village deity of Tamil Nadu.





Karur

KARUR


Karur Taluk, which was once a part of Coimbatore district, was merged with Tiruchirappalli district during 1910. A separate Karur district was formed on 30th September 1995 by trifurcating Tiruchirappalli district. Initially, Karur District was carved out of the composite Tiruchirapalli district, consisting of three taluks namely, Karur, Kulithalai and Manaparai. Subsequently Manaparai Taluk was decoupled and Musiri Taluk was included in Karur District. Later Musiri Taluk was decoupled from Karur District.

Karur District, with headquarters at Karur, is the most centrally located district of Tamil Nadu. It’s about 371 km south west of Chennai (Madras), the capital of Tamil Nadu.

Karur district is bounded by Namakkal District in the north, Dindigul District in the south, Tiruchirapalli District on the east and Erode District on the west.

Karur district was formed through Government Order 913 dated 30.10.1995.


HISTORY


One of the ancient cities in Tamil Nadu, Karur was ruled by the Cheras, Cholas, the Naickers, and the British successively. There is proof that Karur may have been the centre for old jewellery-making and gem setting (with the gold imported mainly from Rome), as seen from various excavations. According to the Hindu mythology, Brahma began the work of creation here, which is referred to as the "place of the sacred cow."

Karur has a very long history and has been sung by various sangam poets. In history, it has been the battleground of various Tamil Kings like Chera, Chola, Pandya and Pallavas because of strategic location. The district has a very rich and varied cultural heritage.

Karuvoor Thevar born in Karur is one among the nine devotees who sung the divine Music Thiruvichaippa, which is the ninth Thirumurai. He is the single largest composer among the nine authors of Thiruvichaippa. He lived during the reign of the great Raja Raja Chola-I. In addition to the famous Siva temple, there is a Vishnu temple at Thiruvithuvakkodu, a suburb of Karur, sung by famous Kulasekara Alwar [7-8th century AD] who was the ruler of Kongu nadu. The same temple is presumably mentioned in epic Silappadikaram as Adaha maadam Ranganathar whose blessings Cheran Senguttuvan sought before his north Indian expedition.

Karur is one of the oldest towns in Tamil Nadu and has played a very significant role in the history and culture of the Tamils. Its history dates back over 2000 years, and has been a flourishing trading centre even in the early Sangam days. Epigraphical, numismatic, archaeological and literary evidences have proved beyond doubt that Karur was the capital of early Chera kings of Sangam age. It was called Karuvoor or Vanji during Sangam days. There has been a plethora of rare findings during the archaeological excavations undertaken in Karur. These include mat-designed pottery, bricks, mud-toys, Roman coins, Chera Coins, Pallava Coins, Roman Amphorae, Rasset coated ware, rare rings etc. Karur was built on the banks of river Amaravathi which was called Aanporunai during the Sangam days. The names of the early Chera kings who ruled from Karur, have been found in the rock inscriptions in Aru Nattar Malai close to Karur. The Tamil epic Silapathikaram mentions that the famous Chera King Cheran Senguttuvan ruled from Karur. In 150 Greek scholars Ptolemy mentioned “Korevora” (Karur) as a very famous inland trading centre in Tamil Nadu. After the early Cheras, Karur was conquered and ruled by Pandyas followed by Pallavas and later Cholas. Karur was under the rule of Cholas for a long time. Later the Naickers followed by Tipu Sultan also ruled Karur. The British added Karur to their possessions after destroying the Karur Fort during their war against Tipu Sultan in 1783. There is a memorial at Rayanur near Karur for the warriors who lost their lives in the fight against the British in the Anglo-Mysore wars. Thereafter Karur became part of British India and was first part of Coimbatore District and later Tiruchirappalli District.

Karur is also a part of Kongunadu. The history of Kongunadu dates back to the 8th century. The name Kongunadu originated from the term "Kongu", meaning nectar or honey. Kongu came to be called as Kongunadu with the growth of civilization. The ancient Kongunadu country was made up of various districts and taluks which are currently known as Palani, Dharapuram, Karur, Nammakkal, Thiruchengodu, Erode, Salem, Dharmapuri, Satyamangalam, Nilgiris, Avinashi, Coimbatore, Pollachi and Udumalpet. Kongunadu was blessed with enormous wealth, a pleasant climate and distinct features. Kongunadu was ruled over by the Chera, Chola, Pandya, Hoysala, Muslim rulers and finally the British.

GEOGRAPHY

District Collector is the Head of the District administration and District Collector's Office is the centre of District Administration situated in Master Plan Complex in Thanthondrimalai. It is nearly 6 Km from Karur bus stand and 8 Km from Railway Station on the way to Dindigul via Vellianai.

Karur district has 2 Revenue Divisions, 4 Taluks, 2 Municipalities, 13 Town Panchayats and 158 Village Panchayats and 203 Revenue Villages. Karur District has 4 Assembly constituencies of which one is a reserved namely Krishnarayapuram Constituency. Karur Parliamentary constitutes 6 Assembly constituencies, 2 are from Tiruchirappalli revenue district, namely Marungapuri and Thottiam and 4 Assembly Constituencies from Karur.

MINES
MINERAL WEALTH IN KARUR DISTRICT
The Karur District  is comprised with khondolite and charnockite group of rocks, both constituting the Eastern Ghat super group of Archaean age.  The khondolite group comprises sillimanite gneiss with or without garnet, calc granulite and crystalline limestone, while the charnockite group includes magnetite quartzite with or without grunerite, basic granulite and charnockite.  They were all formed due to granulite facies grade metamorphism of preexisting aluminous, calcareous, silicious sediments and basic flows.

LIMESTONE
Low grade to Cement grade limestone is found extensively at Kulithalai Taluk (Thevarmalai,  Melapaguthi, Varavanai, Vellalapatti, Keeranur, Pothuravutham patti, Kalladai, Kaliyapatti etc., villages), at Aravakurichi Taluk (Esanatham, Ammapadi.

Alamarathupatti, Thennilai etc., villages) and K.Pitchampatti of Karur Taluk.  The limestone is being used at Cement industries, as fillers in the fertilizer and in the cem factories.  Presently 30 leases are existing at Karur District.

QUARTZ AND FELDSPAR
Milky to glassy variety of  Quartz and Potash feldspar with an average of 12% potash is the common economic mineral available extensively at Aravakurichi Taluk (Pungambadi-West, Nagampalli, Punjaikalakurichi, Pavithram, Soodamani, Venjamangudalur (East), Aravakurichi, Kodanthur (South), Rajapuram, Kodaiyur etc., villages) less prominently at Kulithalai Taluk   (D.Edayapatti, Sengal, Varavanai, Pannapatti, Vadavambadi etc., Villages)  and at Karur Taluk (Velliyanai- South Village).  High grade Quartz is being exported, low grade used in the manufacture of glass and Feldspar in the ceramic and tile manufacturing industries.  Presently 42 leases are existing at Karur District.

Apart from the above good quality of Gem variety such as Ruby  (cordierite in the cordierite sillimanite gneiss) and beryl (acquamarine in the pegmatite vein in acicular shapes) are the common man’s hunt at Keeranur, Muthunaickenpatti, Varavanai and Pannapatti villages of Kulithalai Taluk. Other gem variety such glassy crystallised quartz, amythist and moonstone (catseye) etc., are also prevalent.


GRANITE
There are good quality of hard rocks which are particularly  available at Kulithalai and Aravakurichi Taluks.  But the rocks available at Thogamalai, Naganur, Kalugur and Porunthalur of Kulithalai Taluk are of export worthy and they are being operated for the extraction of granite blocks both by M/s.TAMIN and private companies. 

ROUGHSTONE AND SAND

The Charnockite rocks are found to occur in K.Paramathi, Punnam areas etc., which are exploited to produce building materials and road metals.  The river sand of Amaravathi and Cauvery finds very good market in the adjacent dis

GOVERNMENT MUSEUM

District Museums are multipurpose Museums like the Central Museum at Chennai. District Museums  are established to preserve the cultural, artistic, natural and scientific objects for the benefit of the public. Twenty District Museums are functioning under the Department of Museums. The District Museums in addition to the preservation of the cultural and natural heritage, entertains the visiting public providing enjoyment and extend educational activities. Popular Lectures, Training Courses, Seminars, Competitions, Exhibitions, Research Guidance, Outreach Programmes, Organised Tours etc., are some of the educational activities of the District Museums.

Admission fee to the entire district Museums. Holidays – Fridays, Second Saturdays and National Holidays. Working Hours: 9.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.

Entrace  : Rs. 5/- for Adults (Indian Nationals)
Fee  Rs. 3/- for Children below 12 years (Indian Nationals)
Rs. 2/- for bonafide students and teachers in groups with prior permission (Indian Nationals)
Rs. 100/- or US $ 2 for Adults (Non-Indian Nationals)

The Museum in karur was opened to the public in 2000. The specimens include bronze items, metal-ware objects, musical instruments, coins, rocks and minerals, fossils, botanical specimens, molluscan shells, and other marine specimens.

The educational activities of this Museum include Guide service, popular lectures etc.

For details contact
Curator,
Government Museum, Daily Market Complex,
Karur Bus Stand, Karur – 639 001.



Rock with Jain Sculpture in Aiyarmalai

EXCAVATIONS AND HISTORICAL EVIDENCES

March 2007:

In Andankoil West, when the earth was dug for construction work in Nathamedu, Saravana Nagar, the construction workers stumbled upon a small of pot of Gold Coins, each weighing 300 Milligrams. The Coins date back to Vijayanagar Empire peroid in 16th Century A.D. There were 53 Gold coins on the whole. Each coin has been in scripted with images of Peacock on one side and Pig on the other side. The coin might have used for regular business transactions and to give as gift to poets and others, as per the Curator of Archeological Department, Karur. The coins were tested for purity. This treasure further establishes the historical importance of Karur.






TOURIST PLACES
Temples
The Kalyana Venkattaramasami temple at Thanthoni, about five KM from Karur is one of the most popular temples in the district. The shrine of the Lord is situated on a raised portion of a hillock. The temple is also known as Then (south) Tirupathi.

Karur town is one of the seven sacred sthalams (place) of Sivalayams and is well known for famous Pasupathieswarer Temple. The group of sculptures representing Pasupathiswaralingam as high as five feet, bathed by the milk oozing from the udder of a cow and Rangamatha are noted for sculptural beauty.

Other temples
The temple in Pugalur situated north west of Karur dedicated to Lord Subramania on a small hill at Velayuthanpalayam near Cauvery  is famous for excellent sculpture. Sri Mariamman Temple is a famous one, which is situated in the heart of the city. It is celebrated periodically during the month of May by all groups of people, irrespective of caste and creed, taking the ‘Kumbum’ from the temple to the Amaravathi river is the glorious one.

Karur district has many big and old temples.

Shree Kalyana Pasupatheeswarar Temple (Thiru Aanilai), Karur
Shree Abayapradhana Ranganathar Temple, Karur
Shree Karuvur Mariyamman Temple, Karur
Thanthondrimalai Shree Kalyana Venkataramanaswamy Temple
Vennaimalai Shree Balathandayuthapani Temple
Pugazhimalai Shree ArupadaiMurugan Temple
Attur Sholiyamman Temple
Vangal Shree Pudhu Vangalamman Temple
Nerur Shree Sadhasiva Bhrameendhraal Temple
Madhukkarai Sellandiyamman Temple
Mahadhanapuram Mahalaksmiamman Temple
Manmangalam Puthu Kaliyamman Temple
Krishnarayapuram Tirukkanmalleswarar Temple
Kadavur Vasantha perumal Temple
Kulithalai Kadambar Temple
Kulithalai Neelameegha perumal Temple
Iyermalai Siva Temple
Shivayam Siva Temple
Lalapet Iyyapan Temple (1st Iyyapa Temple in Tamilnadu)
Lalapet Sri Jaya Anjaneya (300 Years Old)
Togamalai Murugan Temple
Rangamalai Malleeshwarar Temple
Vyakarapuriswarar temple, Puliyur - 13 century temple

Places of interest
Mayanur - Kaveri bed regulator, River side park
Chettipalayam - Amaravathi bed regulator, park
Tirumukkudal - Kaveri-Amaravathi rivers coincide here
Noyyal - Kaveri-Noyyal rivers coincide here
Nerur - Sacred madham, Meditation, River side park
Kadavur - Ponniyar dam, park

Hotels & Restaurants
Aarthi Hotels 37, west pradakshnam Road 04324-236122
Abirami&Co 41-C, North Street Ph:04324-245553
Abirami Hotels Jawahar Bazaar 04324-262395
Alagappa Mess 18-A, Kamtchi Amman Koil West Ph:04324-236711
Amirtha Hotels 19, Covai Road 04324 - 231314
Sangeetha Restaurant West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 234411, 234433
M R M Mess Sivasakthi Nagar, Ramachandrapuram 04324 - 576204, 257184
Kulandaiappan Unavagam 59, Kamajapuram West 04324 - 234528

K V R Hotels 123, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 264072, 264073, 264074
K S Mess 88, Coavi Road 04324 - 240497
Jeeva Mess 507, Salem Bye Pass Road 04324 - 227781
Hotel Valluvar Pvt Ltd 71, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 234433, 259453, 234411, 570405
Hotel Udayam 781, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 262519
Hotel Thirunavukarasu West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 239963
Hotel Sekar Salem Main Road 04324 - 221781
Hotel Rampriya 10, Bye Pass Road 04324 - 263280
Hotel Pon Amutha Old Bye Pass Road 04324 - 263359
Hotel Perrys 999, Covai Road 04324 - 240764, 240767, 241656
Hotel Padma 159/2, Vaiyapuri Nagar 04324 - 236040
Hotel Manoharan Covai Road 04324 - 274598
Hotel Manohara 60, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 260534
Hotel Hemala 9, Police Lane Street 04324 - 262923, 262924, 263422, 263423, 263424
Hotel Arun 87, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 249306
Hotel Archana 70, Car Street 04324 - 264190
Hotel Anand 85, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 231651
Hotel Amutham 73-E, Dindugul Road 04324 - 260244
Hotel Ammaiappar Manmangalam 04324 - 220204
Hotel Amirtha 19/11, Covai Road 04324 - 237676
Hotel Amarjothi 37, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 249947
Gurunji Hotel 28-E, Main Road, Vaiyapuri Nagar 04324 - 237676
Cheran Mess Opp. SP Office, Thanthoni Malai 04324 - 256272
Ashok Bhavan Hotel 82, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 249566
Aravind Unavagam Semmadai 04324 - 222233
Aravind Unavagam 15, Chinnakulathu Palayam 04324 - 221594
Aruna Hotel 47, Velusamy Puram 04324 - 225849
Arul Jothii Hotels Azad Road 04324 - 261577
Annai Mess 42/A, Kamaraja Puram North 04324 - 237061
Amutham Restaurant Covai Road 04324 - 240797
Amutha Hotel 737, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 261459
Amaravathi Garden Restaurants 7, Annamalai Street 04324 - 236142
Alankar Hotels 973/1, Covai Road 04324 - 241072
Alagappa Mess 18-A, Kamatchi Amman Koil West 04324 - 236711
Abirami Hotels Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 262395, 264261
Abirami & Co 41-C, North Street 04324 - 245553
Aarthi Hotels 37, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 236122, 236133

Hospitals
Abirami Dental Clinic, 31-E, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 232415
Akhila Childrens Hosiptal, Covai Road, 04324 - 240345
Amaravathi Nursing Home, 04324 - 232497
Amaravathi Hospital, 26, Ramanujam Nagar, 04324 - 231333
Ananth Dental Clinic, Muruganathapuram South, 04324 - 239586
Arvind Detal Clinic, 87, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 234834
Deepa Kannan Hosiptal, Muthu Nagar, 04324 - 274999
G V Hospital, Thiru Vi Ka Road, 04324 - 241431
Government Hospital, 04324 - 231760, 274280
ESI Dispensary, 18/88, Alamara Street, 04324 – 232400
Jeeva Shakthi Energy Clinic, 69, Dindugul Road, 04324 – 263630
K G Hospital, 99, Old Bye Pass Road, 04324 - 262777, 263666
K P Hospital, 96, Vaiyapuri Nagar, 04324 - 231789
K V S Clinic, 59, Narasimma Puram South, 04324 - 262389
Karuvurar Siddha Maruthuvam, 1/3, Muruganathapuram South, 04324 - 239903
Kugan Hospital, Ramanujam Nagar, 04324 - 236299
Madhu Nursing Home, 98, Old Bye Pass Road, 04324 - 260834
Popular Hospital, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 232686
S & V Loga Hospital Pvt Ltd, Allwin Nagar, Covai Road, 04324 - 248079, 240645
Sakthi Vilas Vydhyasalai, 53, Srinivasapuram, 04324 - 260087

Sankar Eye Hospital, Covai Road, 04324 - 241378, 240317
Speed Cure Pain Removal Hospital, No. 4, C S I Church Complex, Church Corner, 04324 - 249242
S S Maruthuvamanai, Thanthoni Malai, 04324 - 255233
Swamy Atmanada Sri Saradhapuri, 04324 - 257382
V C Nursing Home, Ramanujam Nagar, 04324 – 235651

Medical Shops and Agencies
Annai Medical Agencies, 124, Srinivasapuram, 04324 - 261966
Ahamed Basheer O C, 46, Trichy Main Road, 04324 - 242382
Amman Medicals, 15, Car Street, 04324 - 261437
Amman Medical, 210, VIP Nagar, 04324 - 233607
Anbu Medicals, Salem Road, 04324 - 221805
Anila Pharma, 30/17, Pasupathipuram, 04324 - 249798
Annamalai Medical, 26-A, Srinivasapuram, 04324 - 263748
Annamalai Medicals, 207, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 - 264321
Annamalai Medicals, 35, Saminathapuram North, 04324 - 238717
Balaji Medicals, New Street, 04324 - 237996
Bharath Medical, 26, Chairman Ramanujam Street, 04324 - 235703
Bawa Medicals, 962, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 - 240721
Bawa Medicals (Branch), 108, Vaiyapuri Nagar, Covai Road, 04324 - 249922
Delux Medicals, 149, Pasupathi Palayam, 04324 - 245094
Dhanavathri Medical, 19, South Street, 04324 - 263163
Dheeran Pharmaceuticals, 89, Vaiyapuri Nagar IV Cross, 04324 - 233359
Geetha Medicals, 21, Covai Road, 04324 - 235242
India Medicals, 443/1, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 - 263034
Jai Anjeneya Medicals, Gadhi Gramam, 04324 - 245029
Jeyam Medicals, 299, Venga Medu, 04324 - 222215
Johnson Medicare Services, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 234222
K G R Nattu Maruthu Kadia, 710, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 - 264501
K N K Nattu Maruthu Kadai, 350, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 – 262521
Karthick Medical Agency, 16/35, Lakshmipuram, 04324 - 264575, 264675
Karthick Medical, 28-B, Ramanujam Street, 04324 – 236226
Karur Medical, 32-B, Covai Road, 04324 – 232902
Karuvai Medical, 26, Ramanujam Nagar, 04324 - 231222
Kaviarasu Medical, 34, Narasimma Puram North, 04324 - 262187
Keerthi Medicals, 64, New Street, 04324 - 576055
Krishnan R, 19, Narasimma Puram South, 04324 - 263894
Kumaran Medical, 9-D-5, Ramakrishna Puram East, 04324 - 234613
Lakshmi Medical, 405, Salem Main Road, 04324 - 222272
Lakshmi Medicals, Venga Medu, 04324 - 220244
M M Medical, 523, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 – 262494
Maharaja Medicals, 659, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 – 261649
Malar Medical, 255, Salem Main Road, 04324 – 220504
Malathi Medical, 28, Rayanur, 04324 – 257317
Mariya Medical, 27, Ramanujam Nagar, 04324 - 231936
Mathina Medical, 58-A, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 239970
Modern Medical Stores, 31, Narasimma Puram Middle Street, 04324 - 260317
Nataraja Medicals Agencies, 9, West Madavilagam, 04324 - 263552, 264552
Navaladi Medical, 213-A, Vaiyapuri Nagar, 04324 - 239569
New Covai Medicals, Covai Road, 04324 - 248255
New Saraswathi Medicals, 130, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 – 238609
PLA Pharma, K P M Nagar, 04324 – 248693
Pasupathi Medical, 68-A, Pasupathi Palayam, 04324 – 246640
Prabu Medicals, Venga Medu, 04324 – 221083
Prasad Medical, 17, Alamara Street, 04324 – 236473
Premier Medicals, Old Bye Pass Road, 04324 – 262372
Prince Medicals & General, 73, Mettu Street, 04324 – 261613
Radha Medicals, Thiruman Nilaiyur, 04324 – 256349
Ramalingam K, 48, South Street, 04324 – 264417
Ramya Medical, 62-B, Narasimma Puram South, 04324 - 262061
Rasi Medical Agencies, 26, Chinnadan Koil Road, 04324 - 241790
Rotary Medical Centre, 46, 50 Feet Road, Venga Medu, 04324 - 221444
Royal Medical, 94, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 238653
Saila Medical, 212, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 - 262493
Santhi Medical, 686, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 - 264654
Saraswathi Medical, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 239373
Sathana Medicals, 54-E, Pugalur Road, Church Corner, 04324 - 575647
Sathya Medicals, Thanthoni Malai, 04324 - 255545
Senthil Pharmacy, 7, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 238110
Shakthi Medicals, 673, Jawahar Bazaar, 04324 - 260464
Sakthi Pharmacy, 31 A/1, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 576274
Shanmuga Medicals, 54, Thiru Vi Ka Road, 04324 - 261226
Shifa Medicals, Vaiyapuri Nagar, 04324 - 236170
Singhson Durgs, 20-C, Vethathri Salai, Vanga Palayam, 04324 - 223295
Sivam Medicals, 8-A, Erode Main Road, 04324 - 225174
Sree Meenakshi Pharma, 31A-2, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 – 238813
Sri Akalya Medical, 62-A, Rajaji Street, 04324 – 232645
Sri Amman Medicals, Vaiyapuri Nagar, 04324 – 233607
Sri Amman Pharmacy, 18-A, Rajaji Street, 04324 – 231294
Sri Bala Medical, 88, Covai Road, 04324 - 241848
Sri Devi Pharmaceutical, 89, South Streeet, 04324 - 261864
Sri Ganesh Medicals, 818, Covai Road, 04324 - 263979
Sri Jeyam Medicals, Pasupathi Palayam, 04324 - 243193
Sri Kannan Medical, 67/2, Pasupathi Palayam, 04324 - 246804
Sri Lakshmi Drugs Stores, 34, Narasimma Puram North, 04324 - 263124
Sri Lakshmi Pharma, 2, Ramakrishna Puram, 04324 - 259530
Sri Mahalakshmi Medicals, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 309537
Sri Meenakshi Medical, 49-A, Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 249945
Sri Murugan Medical, 97, Covai Road, 04324 – 236553
Sri Murugan Medicals, 9, Anna Salai, 04324 – 241912
Sri Sakthi Pharmaceutical, 124-B, Srinivasapuram, 04324 – 262494
Sri Sowri Pharma, 45, Rajaji Street, 04324 – 231716
Sri Sowri Pharma, 86, South Street, 04324 - 261525, 261558, 261582
Sri Venu Medical, 5-S, Narasimma Puram, 04324 – 260048
Srinivasan Medical, 29, Covai Road, 04324 – 231129
Sri Sowri Pharma, 86, South Street, 04324 - 261525, 261558, 261582
Sri Venu Medical, 5-S, Narasimma Puram, 04324 – 260048
Srinivasan Medical, 29, Covai Road, 04324 – 231129
Subam Medical, 55, Rajaji Street, 04324 - 237522
T S A Pharma, 9, Anna Malai Streeet, 04324 - 235371
Tamil Nadu Medicals, 28-A, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 249432
Tamil Pharmacy, 57, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 237860
Thamarai Medical, 15, Cavery Nagar, 04324 - 244466
Udayam Medicals, B-11, Gandhi Gramam Main Road, 04324 - 246354
Uma Medicals, Venga Medu, 04324 - 575055
Vijay Medicals, Senguntha Puram, 04324 - 236612
Vijay Sri Medicals, Alamara Street, 04324 - 238940
Vimala Medicals, 40/81-A, West Pradakshnam Road, Opp. Bus Stand, 04324 - 249313
Valluvar Medicals, 126/C, Old Bye Pass Road, 04324 - 240186
Vasan Medicals, 86, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 234293
Vasavi Medicals, 7/A, Kamaraj Road, 04324 - 264922
Vijay Medicals, Kamaraja Puram North, 04324 - 259232
Welcome Medicals, Muruganathapuram, 04324 - 261672
Yaacin Medicals, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 – 235873.

Pharmaceuticals
Anila Pharma, 30/17, Pasupathipuram, 04324 - 249798
Dheeran Pharmaceuticals, 89, Vaiyapuri Nagar IV Cross, 04324 – 233359
PLA Pharma, K P M Nagar, 04324 – 248693
Senthil Pharmacy, 7, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 - 238110
Sakthi Pharmacy, 31 A/1, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 – 576274
Sree Meenakshi Pharma, 31A-2, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324 – 238813
Sri Amman Pharmacy, 18-A, Rajaji Street, 04324 - 231294
Sri Devi Pharmaceutical, 89, South Streeet, 04324 - 261864
Sri Lakshmi Pharma, 2, Ramakrishna Puram, 04324 - 259530
Sri Sakthi Pharmaceutical, 124-B, Srinivasapuram, 04324 - 262494
Sri Sowri Pharma, 45, Rajaji Street, 04324 - 231716
Sri Sowri Pharma, 86, South Street, 04324 - 261525, 261558, 261582
T S A Pharma, 9, Anna Malai Streeet, 04324 - 235371
Tamil Pharmacy, 57, West Pradakshnam Road, 04324 – 237860

EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
Govt arts college, Thanthonimalai, Ph: 04324-257642, 257632
Amaravathi Education Trust, Evrcart, Main road,
ICFAI National College, 1044, Covai road
Kongu College of arts & Science, Deeran Chinnamalai Nagar, Ph:04324-220304
M Kumarsamy College of Engineering, Thalavapalayam, Ph:04324-270755
Karur Polytechnic, Erode Road, Ph:04324-225290
Shanmuga Institute of Nursing&Phara Medical science, Therasa Nagar,
VSB Engineering College, Karudayampalayam, Ph: 04324-286408
Valluvar Catering& Hotel

Bharathi Nursery& Primary, Santhanakalipalayam, Ph:04324-222350
C S I Hr Sec School, Azad Road, Ph:04324-262469
Kongu Vellar Matriculation School, Vaiyapuri Nagar, Ph:04324-232363
Kumar high school, Athikrishnapuram, Ph:04324-264689
Little Angels English School, Vanniamman Kovil Street, Ph:04324-260639
M H S S School, Azad road, Ph:04324-262073
Morning Star High School, Ph:04324-235054
Macmillan Matriculation School, 90, Arunachala Nagar, 04324-246210
Lords Park Matriculation School, Krishna garden, Ph:04324- 264638
L N V N Educational Trust, 43, rajaji road, Ph:04324-238310
Kumar high school, Athikrishnapuram, Ph:04324-264689
K V B O A English School, Ph:04324-225271
Guru Vidyalaya School, chinnandan koil Road, Ph:04324-240172
Govt Girls Hr Sec School, Car street, 04324-237237
Cheran Matriculation School, Ramakrishna Purm
C S I Boys Hr Sec School, Police lane
CSI Home For Children, North Pradakshnam Road, 04324-232081
CSI Girls Hr Sec School, North Pradakshnam Road, CSI Santhi Nilayam, Senginthar Nagar, 04324-220125
CJ Nursery & Primary School, Industrial Estate, Ph:04324-242280
Brindavan Matriculation School, Gadhi Gramam North, Ph:04324-245884
Balar Kalikkoodam Nursery, Sannathi street, Ph:04324-261328
Govt Hr Sec School, Thanthoni Malai, Ph:04324-256646
Ashram Hr Sec School, Manavadi, Ph:04324-299175
Annai Vidyalaya Angila Palli, 100-A, Periyar Salai, Ph:04324-221701
Andavar Matric School, Thanthoni malai, Ph:04324-256803
Amaravathi Matric School, S Vellalapatti, Ph:04324-245854
Hotels & Restaurants
Aarthi Hotels 37, west pradakshnam Road 04324-236122
Abirami&Co 41-C, North Street Ph:04324-245553
Abirami Hotels Jawahar Bazaar 04324-262395
Alagappa Mess 18-A, Kamtchi Amman Koil West Ph:04324-236711
Amirtha Hotels 19, Covai Road 04324 - 231314
Sangeetha Restaurant West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 234411, 234433
M R M Mess Sivasakthi Nagar, Ramachandrapuram 04324 - 576204, 257184
Kulandaiappan Unavagam 59, Kamajapuram West 04324 - 234528
K V R Hotels 123, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 264072, 264073, 264074
K S Mess 88, Coavi Road 04324 - 240497
Jeeva Mess 507, Salem Bye Pass Road 04324 - 227781
Hotel Valluvar Pvt Ltd 71, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 234433, 259453, 234411, 570405
Hotel Udayam 781, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 262519
Hotel Thirunavukarasu West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 239963
Hotel Sekar Salem Main Road 04324 - 221781
Hotel Rampriya 10, Bye Pass Road 04324 - 263280
Hotel Pon Amutha Old Bye Pass Road 04324 - 263359
Hotel Perrys 999, Covai Road 04324 - 240764, 240767, 241656
Hotel Padma 159/2, Vaiyapuri Nagar 04324 - 236040
Hotel Manoharan Covai Road 04324 - 274598
Hotel Manohara 60, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 260534
Hotel Hemala 9, Police Lane Street 04324 - 262923, 262924, 263422, 263423, 263424
Hotel Arun 87, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 249306
Hotel Archana 70, Car Street 04324 - 264190
Hotel Anand 85, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 231651
Hotel Amutham 73-E, Dindugul Road 04324 - 260244
Hotel Ammaiappar Manmangalam 04324 - 220204
Hotel Amirtha 19/11, Covai Road 04324 - 237676
Hotel Amarjothi 37, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 249947
Gurunji Hotel 28-E, Main Road, Vaiyapuri Nagar 04324 - 237676
Cheran Mess Opp. SP Office, Thanthoni Malai 04324 - 256272
Ashok Bhavan Hotel 82, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 249566
Aravind Unavagam Semmadai 04324 - 222233
Aravind Unavagam 15, Chinnakulathu Palayam 04324 - 221594
Aruna Hotel 47, Velusamy Puram 04324 - 225849
Arul Jothii Hotels Azad Road 04324 - 261577
Annai Mess 42/A, Kamaraja Puram North 04324 - 237061
Amutham Restaurant Covai Road 04324 - 240797
Amutha Hotel 737, Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 261459
Amaravathi Garden Restaurants 7, Annamalai Street 04324 - 236142
Alankar Hotels 973/1, Covai Road 04324 - 241072
Alagappa Mess 18-A, Kamatchi Amman Koil West 04324 - 236711
Abirami Hotels Jawahar Bazaar 04324 - 262395, 264261
Abirami & Co 41-C, North Street 04324 - 245553
Aarthi Hotels 37, West Pradakshnam Road 04324 - 236122, 236133

Trust
Chep Trust, 78, Rani Mangammal Street, 04324 - 233105
Kanmani Trust, Bharathiyar Nagar, Thanthoni Malai, 04324 – 256553
Karuvai Charitable Trust, 16, Ramakrishna Puram North, 04324 – 230923
Pasumai Ulagam Trust Of India, 62/2, Main Road, Thanthoni Malai, 04324 - 255707
Physco Trust, 145, Vaiyapuri Nagar, 04324 - 249482
Valluvar Educational Trust, 20/29, Madurai Bye Pass Road, Opp. LVB Nagar, 04324 – 241883



Cinema Halls
Ajantha, 04324 - 274020
Amutha, 04324 - 232259
Ellora, 04324 - 232408
Gowrisankar, 04324 - 220394
Kalai Arangam, 04324 - 232598
Kavithalaya, 04324 - 232698
Lakshmiram, 04324 - 260003
Pon Amutha, 04324 - 233459
Thinnappa, 04324 - 232757
Vetri, 04324 – 246878

DISTANCE CHART OF NEARBY DISTRICTS


District         Distance from Karur(in kms)

Chennai              412
Coimbatore         123
Dindigul                74
Erode                  65
Madurai              140
Salem                100
Tiruchchirapalli      76

Krishnagiri

KRISHNAGIRI PROFILE 
The holy land of wise scholars, men of valour and courage, blessed with the green valleys, hills and hillocks and inhabited by people known for innovative farming was divided, for the formation of Krishnagiri district, carved out of Dharmapuri district as 30th district of Tamil Nadu.

'Krishna' refers to 'black' and 'giri' refers to 'hill'. This district is gifted with black granite hillocks and named as "krishnagiri".

The region came under the rule of Krishna Deva Raya and hence it might have been named after this king.

Krishnagiri district is bounded by Vellore and Thiruvannamalai districts in the East, Karnataka state in the west, State of Andhra Pradesh in the North Dharmapuri District in the south. Its area is 5143 Sq. Kms. This district is elevated from 300m to 1400m above the mean sea level. It is located between 11º 12'N to 12º 49'N Latitude,77º 27'E to 78º 38'E Longitude. Eastern part of the district experiences hot climate and Western part has a contrasting cold climate. the average rainfall is 830 mm per annum. March - June is summer season. July - November is Rainy Season and between December - February winter prevails. Three languages namely Tamil, Telugu and Kannada are predominantly spoken in this district. Major religions are Hindu, Islam and Christianity. This district stands as an ideal exhibit of National integration and religious harmony. The society exhibit the confluence of different languages and religions.

ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISIONS 
Revenue Divisions
•Krishnagiri
•Hosur


Panchayat Unions
•Kelamangalam
•Thali
•Krishnagiri
•shoolagiri
•Vepanapalli
•Hosur
•Kaveripattinam
•Bargur
•Mathur
•Uthangarai

Revenue Taluks
•Krishnagiri
•Hosur
•Pochampalli
•Uthangarai
•Denkanikottai

Krishnagiri District has 2 Municipalities, 10 Panchayat Unions, 7 Town Panchayats, 352 Village Panchayats and 636 Revenue Villages.

TRANSPORT ROAD
This district is connected by Prime Minister's Golden Rectangle Project executed by National Highways Authority of India. This district has a network of National Highways converging.

•NH-7 (Kanyakumari-Kashmir)
•NH-46 (Chennai-Bangalore)
•NH-66 (Pondicherry-Bangalore)
•NH-207 (Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur)
•NH-219 (Krishnagiri-Kuppam)
Apart from this state highways and district highways are linking almost all the towns and villages of the district. Four National highways converge at the Head Quarters of this district is unique.

People of Krishnagiri District belong to various racial groups. People from Kashmir, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andra have settled in this District. Hence it can be rightly called a Cosmopolitan society. Ancient Art & Culture is preserved and maintained by inhabitants. The major entertainment for rural folk form the 'Street Play' (theru koothu) and 'Sevai Attam'.

SERICULTURE
5069 acres of land is under mulberry cultivation in Krishnagiri District. This has the employment opportunity for about 24,345 persons at the rate of 5 per acre. Training in Mulberry farming, Rearing Silk Worms is done through a large network of Govt. Departmental Institutions of Sericulture such as Silk quality development farms 75, Govt. Sericulture training center 1, Govt. Sericulture Farm 1 Base seedlings (grain age) development farms 9, Govt. Bi-voltine grain age centers 5, Govt. Cocoon markets 5, Silk Reeling Unit 1, Silk Twisting unit 1, Technical support and service center for rearing silk worm 17, with the above maintained facilities sericulture industry has good scope in this district.

NATURAL RESOURCES
Krishnagiri is one among the districts of Tamil Nadu, which with natural resources having 2,024 Sq. Kms of forest cover is its unique feature. The hill ranges of this district are called by the name 'Melagiri'. The major type of forest seen here are Tropical, Deciduous forests, thorny shrubs and bamboo forest. Dense forest cover Denkanikottai region. The other region contains shrubs, hills and hillocks with bushes.



FLORA AND FAUNA
The major wild animals include Elephants, Sambar, Spotted Deer, Gaur, Wild boar, Panther etc. The forest area of Denkanikottai Taluk forms the prime elephant habitat with lot of bamboos and this area constitutes the Cauvery elephant reserve, which is constituted over and area of about 450 Sq. Kms. The bird population is also attractive with beautiful bird like Paradise flycatcher. Big lakes in Anchetti and Hosur areas also attract large number of migratory birds like Painted storks, Teals etc. Apart from these birds and mammals, there are variety of butterflies, giant spiders etc. that are coming under endangered list. Kodakkarai shoal forest in Denkanikottai Taluk is known for large scale migratory butterflies during a particular season then one can observe thousands of migratory butterflies passing through this forest like a passing cloud.

The district is a paradise for natural lovers. The flora include variety of timber trees like Rose wood, Teak, Sandal etc. Hundereds of medicinal herbs, minor forest plants like nelli, kadukkai, cheekai, pungam etc. The following trees like 'Charakkonnai' ('Cassia histula'). Since pungam trees are found in abundance in this forest pungam oil is extracted from this seeds of this tress which is a non pollutant Bio-fuel.

ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE OF NATURAL VEGETATION
The Vast forest resources contains Sandal, Teak, Rose Wood and Bamboo. The timber from these trees has great demand for structural works, House construction, Ship buildings, Paper and pulp manufacture, Pencil and Ply wood Industry. Those they contribute towards national income. Growing nursery for herbs and medicinal plants, extraction sandal wood oil for perfumery is the major contribution for the industrial growth in Krishnagiri District. Tribal are benefited by the forest products like bamboo rice and honey which supplement their food.

MINERALS AND INDUSTRIES
"Paradise" is the most popular multi coloured granite available in Krishnagiri. Black granite is available in Hosur and Denkanikottai. Granite processing units, which make slabs of granite, finished and decorated beautifully is located mainly in Hosur surroundings. The multi coloured paradise slabs are being exported to America, England, Australia and some other European countries in large quantities. This industry is flourishing with the uninterrupted supply of electricity and availability of raw material and land at cheaper rates. A variety of quartz stones from Denkanikottai and White metal called Limestone from Uthangarai are mined.

RIVERS
The main rivers that flow across the district are Kaveri and South Pennar Kaveri enters the district from South West in Denkanikottai taluk and exists in South West direction. It forms a waterfalls at Hokenakkal and joins Mettur Dam. South Pennar originates in Nandidurg of Karnataka and flows through Hosur, Krishnagiri and Uthangari Taluks. Vanniyar and Markanda rivers join this South Pennar.

RESERVOIRS
Krishnagiri Reservoir Project, Shoolagiri-Chinnar Reservoir, Thangarai Reservoir, Pambar Reservoir, Kelevarapalli Reservoir Project and Baarur Tank are the sources of irrigation for our district. By all these water reservoirs 18,965 Hec. of land is irrigated.

PLACES OF WORSHIP
Arulmigu 'Penneswarar Moorthy' temple, ' Lakshminarayana' temple of Krishnagiri, 'Kundeeswarar' temple of Chinna Kothur, 'Angalamman' temple of Kaveripattinam, 'Balamurugan' temple of Jagadevi, 'Chandra choodeswarar' temple of Hosur, 'Bettaraya Swamy' Temple of Denkanikottai are few among the holy places of this Krishnagiri District. Stone inscription reveal that these temples were built during Chola and Vijaya Nagar periods. The Holy Dharga of Denkanikottai, The Sacred Heart Church of Krishnagiri are other popular sacred places in this district.

Kanniakumari

The area comprising the present Kanniakumari district was a part of the erstwhile Travancore state. In 1835, when the state was divided in to Northern and Southern divisions , this area formed part of Southern division and was placed in the charge of Dewan Peishkar, Kottayam. In July 1949, when the United States of Travancore and Cochin was inaugurated, the present Kanniyakumari area continued to be a part of Trivandrum district of Kerala State.

The people of Agasteeswarem, Thovalai, Kalkulam and Vilavancode Taluks, which formed the southern divisions of the former Trivandrum District, were predominantly Tamil speaking. They agitated for the merger of this area with Madras State. The States Reorganisation Commission also recommended this. Accordingly, the States Reorganisation Act, 1956 was passed and the Kanyakumari District was formed on 1st November 1956 , with the four Taluks, Viz., Agasteeswarem, Thovalai, Kalkulam and Vilavancode and merged with Tamil Nadu.  Thiru. R .Thirumalai I.A.S assumed charge as  the first Collector of Kanniakumari District on 01.11.1956.


People & Culture:


The people are the human resource of the District. Their culture, religion, aptitude,habits, beliefs, talents etc have a bearing on how the district presents itself to others. Tamil and Malayalam are the main languages of this district. Hindus and Christians form a sizeable percentage of the population of the district and there are a number of Muslims dominated belts in the district.  The caste system in the Society has weakened to a great extent especially after independence because of growth of education and improvements in transport and communication. Some of the communities in the district are Nadars, Nanjil Nadu Vellalars, Paravas, Mukthavas, Vilakki Thalanayar, Kammalar or Asari, Nairs, Chackarevars, Kerala Mudalis etc. Rice is the staple food of the rich and poor alike in the district. Some among the poorer section also use tapioca. Beverages like tea and coffee are widely spread even in to the rural area of the district.  

Festivals & Folk Arts:


FESTIVALS are held in all the taluks in connection with various celebrations in the temples, mosques and churches. The car festival at Suchindram attracts large number of crowds in the month of January. The Kodai festival in the month of March in the Mondaicadu temple in the Kalkulam Taluk gets a large gathering. The Thirukalya Utsavam in the Kumaracoil temple in the Kalkulam taluk in the month of March - April is observed as an important festival. Pongal in January and Deepavali in November are also occasions for festivity and rejoicing among the Hindu Communities. The Malayalis celebrate Onam in August - September with feasts and sports.  Muslims in all the taluks observe Muharram and Ramzan. Christmas is an important festival for the Christians. In the St.Xavier's Church at Kottar, as annual festival in the month of December is usually celebrated on a very grand scale and attracts Catholic people from all over South India.

FORK ARTS:

Many Folk arts and dances are  popular in this district. They are played during the time of festivals in temples, celebrations in schools etc.


Bow Song  (Villu Pattu): is an ancient form of musical - story - telling art of southern Tamil Nadu. This art is famous particularly in Southern Tamil Nadu.

Bow, the age -old weapon of warriors - paradoxically lends itself to be used as a primary musical instrument for the Villu Pattu artists. There are Udukku , Kudam, Thala - Kattai etc as supplementary instrument in their performances. Udukku mentioned in the ancient Tamil literature as Thudi, is a small drum with a slender middle portion which is held in the left hand and played by the fingers of the right hand . This may be seen in the pictures and statues of  Lord Nataraja, - the cosmic Dancer, adoring his left hand. Sometimes the Villu Pattu team divides itself into two groups, each trying to prove opposite view points of a subject by conducting the programme by exchange of questions and answers. This is called Lavani Pattu.  The songs used by the Villu-Pattu artists are mostly traditional folk-songs.

Thiruvathirai Kali : occupies the pride of place among the folk dances. It resembles Kummi and is played especially during Onam festival. The players are young girls. The necessary number of girls is 8,10,12 or 16 for each dance. They move round and sing in chorus. Each girl strikes the stick (Kole) which she holds in each hand and the striking of the sticks and the steps , which she makes are rhythmical to the tune.

Kalial : is a folk dance played by group of men or boys in the :country side.  A group leader sings songs and keeps time with cymbals.   The players stand in a circle with sticks in their hand and dance round a lighted lamp repeating  the songs sung by the leader.  They turn, twist, lean forward and backward, squat and move round singing to the tune.  At  the beginning the steps are elaborate and at times, they are also very quick .  When invited to perform in a function, the players generally begin the dance with an invocation for heavenly aid and conclude the dance with a torch  - dance using lighted  torches.  This folk dance exhibits the artistic and recreative  life of the country side. 

Kathakali: is a unique form of drama, which has its origin in :Travancore.  Kathakali (story-dance) is a relatively recent (fifteenth or sixteenth century)  development of earlier dances, which, like dances every where, arose out of religious expression through symbolical action.  In this art-form, the characters express their ideas not by words, but by significant gestures.  The movements  are adopted from the Bharatha Natya with suitable modifications.  The conversations between the characters,  as well as the narrative portion of the story, invariably in verse, are recited in a loud voice by the Bhagavathar to the accompaniment of musical instrument.  The action is promoted by his words.  The costume and make up of the actor are also important aspects in Kathakali.  There are standard make up for the different  types of actors, but red, yellow, green black and white are the colours used.  The head dresses are made of light-weight wood and are decorated with pieces of mirror, spangles, and coloured  stones.  Usually, a Kathakali performance extends from eight to ten hours.  With the advent of the cinema, the popularity of this art has declined.  It is now played in the temples at Thiruvattar, Thirparappu, Ponmana, Kuzhithurai, Neyyoor and Munchira in the Kanyakumari District  twice a year during the time of festivals.

Ottam Thullal is a form of story telling.  It is a popular for  of amusement, staged  in the temple premises and Malayalam is the  language commonly used.  It combines dance, song and acting.  the story – teller is aided by two musicians, one, who leads the song  and plays on an  instrument, and the other, who keeps time by beating cymbal.  The actor wears a  simple costume consisting of a skirt, some arm and chest decorations and an elaborate head dress. ‘Ottam Thullal’ is now played in the temples of Thiruvaattar, Thirparappu, Ponmana and Thirunanthikara in the district during the time of festivals.

Karagam Dance is a kind of dance common in the country side.  It is played by both men and women during the time of festivals and marriages.

Kalari also known as Adimurai in Kanniyakumari district, is an :ancient martial art, still preserved in the villages of this district and also in  Kerala.  A tradition believed to have been founded by  Paraurama is known Vadakkan Kalari : and another credited to Agasthiar is  called as which emphasis is on striking at vital points of the body and not on weapons, even through sword, knife, Urumi (rolling sword), Mankombu (horns of a deer), Kandakkodali, (a kind of axe), mazhu (a kind of axe) etc., are also used.


Places of Tourist Interest  :
Fountain at Kanniyakumari
Kanyakumari district, which lies in the southern most tip of Peninsular India, is famous for its majestic hills, virgin beaches, pristine rivers and meandering rivulets. The district has a fragrance of architecture culture and customs of neighbouring Kerala mixed with the rich deep traditions, culture and architecture of Tamil Nadu. However, for want of promotional campaign and lack of basic amenities most of the tourists coming to this district return back after seeing just Kanyakumari and Padmanabhapuram Palace. It was at this juncture that the district administration decided to take up tourism promotion initiatives in a major way. Attempt has been made to put up basic amenities at the virgin beautiful spots so as to facilitate the inflow of the tourists.
Mahatma Gandhi Memorial

The place has been associated with great men like Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi in whose names memorials have been here.  They are very beautiful and add to the attraction of this place.  The beautiful Gandhi Memorial completed in 1956, is situated as a memorial to the Father of the Nation.  An urn  of Mahatma Gandhi was kept here for public to pay homage before immersion.            Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari twice in 1925 and 1937.   Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari in January 1937.  In 1948 his ashes were immersed in the sea waters in Kanyakumari.   In commemoration of this event a beautifulmonument has been constructed here.  Its central shape is 79 feet high representing the age of the Mahatma at the time of the sun at Mid day on 2nd October would fall on the peedam through a hole in the roof.  The memorial was transferred to the administrative control of the Public (Information and Public Relations)  Department from Public Works Department of Government of Tamil Nadu in the year 1978.

Visting Hours -7 AM To 7 PM . Entrance Free

Thiruvalluvar Statue
Thiruvalluvar is the immortal poet of Tamil Nadu and has given to the world  Thirukkural.   The memorial statue of Thiruvalluvar is in Kanyakumari.  The pedestal of the statue is of 38 feet height and the statue over it is 95 feet tall with a grand total of 133 feet for the entire sculpture.  The 3 tier pedestal  known as Atharapeedam is surrounded by an artistic Mandapa known as Alankara Mandapam with 38 feet height.  Surrounding the Alankara Mandapa stand 10 elephant statues signifying 8 directions with earth and space down.  The father of Sri. Rama, the hero of Ramayana was called Dasaratha as he was able to charioteer in ten directions.  To help the tourists to worship the holy feet of Thiruvalluvar 140 steps are constructed inside the Mandapa.      The pedestal with a height of 38 feet represents the 38 chapters in the Book of Aram in Thirukural and the statue of 95 feet on the pedestal represents the total chapters in Porul (70 chapters) and Inbam (25 Chapters).  Thus the statue symbolically, and artistically signifies that the theme of Porul and Inbam are based on Aram.    Visting Hours -8 AM To 4 PM .

SOME  DETAILS ABOUT THE STATUE OF THIRUVALLUVAR
Chief Sculptor- Dr. V. Ganapathy Sthapathi
Height of the statue of Thiruvalluvar- 95 feet
Total pieces of stones utilised for the statue - 1283
Weight of  the statue - 2000 tons
Height of the Athaara Peedam - 38 feet
Total pieces of stone utilized - 672
Weight of the stones in the Peedam - 1500 tons
Total height of the monument - 133 feet
Height of the Alankara-Mandapam - 38 feet
Total pieces of stones utilized for the Mandapam - 1726
Weight of the stones in the Mandapam- 3500 tons
Total weight of the whole structure - 7000 tons
Number of steps upward- 70
Number of steps downward - 70

Kamarajar Manimandapam 
Another monument Kamarajar Manimandapam was raised and dedicated to Late.  Sri. Kamarajar, The freedom fighter, Former Chief minister of Tamil Nadu, President of Indian National Congress.  He  was popularly known as Black Gandhi among the masses and king maker during congress regime.  This  monument was constructed  where his ashes were kept here for public to pay homage before immersion into the sea. Visting Hours -7 AM To 7 PM . Entrance Free


Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Vivekananda Rock Memorial is another place in Kanyakumari which attracts large number of tourists.  As its name implies, it is essentially a sacred monument, built by the Vivekananda Rock Memorial Committee to commemorate the visit of Swamy Vivekananda to “Shripada Parai” during 24th, 25th and 26th December 1892 for deep meditation and enlightenment. 

From very ancient times, the rock has been regarded as sacred place.  In Puranic tradition, it has been known as “Sripada Parai: meaning the rock, that has been blessed by the touch of Shripada feet of the Goddess.On the rock, is a projection similar in form to a human fort and a little brownish in complexion, which has traditionally, been revered as a symbol of Shripadam.  According to legend, it was on this rock that Goddess Kanyakumari did Tapas.

The memorial consists of two main structures, viz (i) Vivekananda Mandapam and (ii) Shripada Mandapam. 

Vivekananda Mandapam:-  This 180’-11 ½ ‘ X 56’ Mandapam consists of (1) Dhyana Mandapam, i.e., Meditation Hall with six adjacent rooms (2) Sabha Mandapam or the Assembly Hall including Pralima Mandapam (statue section) two rooms, a corridor and an open Prakaram round the Sabha Mandapam (30 Mukha Mandapam (Portion) and (4) the Front Entrance steps with two rooms and a corridor below the steps. 

Shripada Mandapam:- This    square hall consists of (1) Garbha Graham i.e., (Sanctum Sanctorum) (2) the Inner Prakaram (3) the Outer Prakaram and (4) the Outer Platform all around.  Both the Mandapams are so designed that the vision of Swamiji in the statue would be seen direct towards the Shripadam. Visting Hours -7 AM To  4 PM . Entrance Fee - Rs 10 . Ferry Fee Rs 20 for adult .and Rs 10 for students.

Sunrise and Sunset
Sunrise can be  seen in Kanniyakumari through out the year at Bay of Bengal.  Sunset can be seen from View Tower through out the year except the months of June, July and August.

View Tower and Telescope House:
Panoramic view of landscape
, seashore, Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Thiruvalluvar Statue etc., can be seen at View Tower and through Telescope. 
Visiting hours:- 05.00 A.M. to 07.00 P.M.
Entry Fee      :- Rs. 3 /- Adults and Rs. 2 /- for Children.

Government Museum
The Government Museum, situated on the Beach Road offers a good collection of sculptured artifacts and crafts of South Indian Temples and is one of the “Must See” places in Kanyakumari.
Visiting hours:- From 09.30 A.M. to 05.00 P.M. (All friday and second Saturday  holiday)
Entry Fee      :- Adults Rs. 5 /- and Children Rs. 3 /-  per head. Foreigner Rs.100 /-

Guganathaswamy Temple:
This is a 1000 year old temple and is said to have been built by the King Raja Raja Chola.  The architectural style of the Cholas is quiet apparent  in this temple.  It is located near Railway Station.  There are 16 inscriptions found  in this temple that date back to the years 1038 A.D., 1044 A.D., 1045 .A.D. 
Visiting hours:- From 06.00 to 11.15 A.M and 05.00 P.M to 08.45 P.M.


Kumari - Hall of history
It is located south side of Kanyakumari Railway Station exhibits the pictures of historical wonders and also comprised rare photographs Kamarajar, Gandhiji and other freedom fighters.
Visiting hours:- From 08.30 A.M to 08.30 P.M.
Entry fees    :- Adults Rs. 10 /-  Students Rs. 5 /-.

Suchindrum  :
Suchindrum is a small village about 12 km. from Kanyakumari and about seven kilometres from Nagercoil.  This holy place is located on the bank of the river Pazhayar, adjoining fertile fields and coconut groves and the temple is dedicated to Sri Sthanumalayan.  The word denotes Siva, Vishnu and Brahma as.  Sthanu represents Siva, Mal represents Vishnu while Ayan represents Brahma i.e. Siva, Vishnu and Brahma in “One Form”.   

Suchindrum means the place where Indra attained ‘Suchi’ i.e., purification.  The Sthalapurana has it that Indra suffered a curse from sage Gowthama, when he stealthily cast amorous glances at Ahalya the wife of Gowthama.  Not able to suffer the mortification brought about by the curse.  Indra had to seek immediate redemption.  He came to ‘Gnana Aranya’ as this place was then called and offered worship to Lord Shiva.  Relieving Indra of his curse, Lord Shiva granted him of his wish that the place where he attained purification should henceforth be called ‘Suchindrum’. 

Another story goes to say that the Trimurthys i.e. Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, cajoled by their divine consorts came down to the earth to test the chastity of Anusuya, wife of sage Athri at Gnana Aranya.  The Gods for this misadventure had to suffer a surse form the Rishipatni and to undergo the purification process, before they could be restored to their former glory. 

It is said that Thanumalaya Swamy temple is the only shrine dedicated to the Trinity in India.  The present structure of the temple is the work of a number of persons spread over a number of centuries.  It is a complex of many beautiful structures constructed at various times and is one of the best specimens and a store house of the Dravidian style of art and architecture. 

Kanyakumari Bagavathiamman Temple:
Kanyakumari derives its name from from Goddess Kanyakumari Amman, the presiding deity of the area. The most prominent temple, the Kumari Amman, is dedicated to the goddess Parvathi as a virgin. The temple situated at the edge of the ocean for Goddess Kanyakumari  has the legendary account that once Banusura, the demon king got supremacy over Devas and meted out cruel punishment to them.  The Devas performed a Yagna pleading to annihilate the evils. Goddess Parasakthi came to Kumari in the form of a virgin girl and began her penance.  Meanwhile Lord Shiva fell in love with her and arrangements for the marriage were made in the midnight a particular day.  Now the Devine sage Narada realised that their marriage would destroy the chances of  annihilating Banusura  because he could be killed only by a virgin.  When Lord Shiva was on his way to Kanyakumari from Suchindrum at Valukkamparai 5 kms south of Suchindram, Sage Narada assumed the form of a cock and crowed falsely heralding the break of dawn.  Thinking that the auspicious time for the marriage was past, Lord Shiva returned disappointed.  The Goddess too decided to remain virgin after that.  Then, when Banusura attempted to win the Goddess by force, she killed him with her Chakragudha, and relieved the suffering s of Devas.  Then she resumed her penance and remained virgin. The contact telephone number of Devesthanam office, Bagavathiamman Temple is 04652-246223. Timings from 4.30 AM to 12.15 PM & 4.PM to 8.15 PM. Annual Festivals are  Car festival (May / June) and Navaratri (Nine Days) Festival (September / October).

Udayagiri Fort :
The fort was rebuilt in the reign of Marthandavarma, the Venad King, during 1741-44.  Under the supervision of De Lannoy, the Belgian General, who served as the Chief of the Travancore army; East India Company’s troops were stationed there till the middle of the 19th century.    Foundry for the manufacture of guns, mortars and cannon balls were also established within the fort under the supervision of the General. 

In the early days, the fort was of strategic importance.  Prisoners captured in the campaign against Tippu were confined in this fort for sometime.   It is further said that a brass gun 16 ft. long bored as a 22 ponder, found in the fort could not be removed even for a few yards by a large number of people, even with the help of 16 elephants. 

A village has come up in front of the fort.  The people who live here, are mostly agriculturists.  A few of them are engaged in trade.  Pottery making is the chief Industry among a section of the people. Now, the District Administration, with the help of Forest Department has set up a Biodiversity Park over here. Tourists can see deer, ducks, fountains, birds and over 100 varieties of trees inside the fort.

Mathoor Hanging Bridge  :

The  Mathoor Hanging Trough is the tallest as well as the longest trough bridge in Asia, having a height of 115 feet and a length of one kilometre.  Constructed in 1966, this bridge has become a place of tourist importance and hundreds of tourists visit this place.  This is situated in Mathoor, hamlet of Aruvikkarai revenue village in Thiruvattar Panchayat Union. 
The bridge has been constructed at Mathoor across the river Parazhiyar at a cost of Rs. 12.90/- lakhs and the trough canal (Pattanamkal canal) on the bridge carries water for irrigation from one side of a hill to the other side of a hill.  The trough has a height of seven feet with a width of seven feet six inches.  The canal is being shouldered by  28 huge pillars.  By the unrelented efforts of late Thiru. K. Kamaraj, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, this canal was constructed as a drought relief measure and for the development of agriculture in Vilavancode and Kalkulam Taluks. The District Administration has recently put up a staircase from top to the bottom of the bridge and also built a children's park and bathing platforms over here.

The details of the bridge are:    Hydraulics Particulars

1. Length of flume  - 1240 ft. (378.05M)
2. Width  - 7’-6’ (2.286 M)
3. Height of trough - 7’-0 (2.13 M)
4.  Full supl. level  - 5’-6/(1.68 M)
5. Free board (3-4)  - 1’6’ (0.46 M)
6. Slope  - 1/1000
7. Velocity  - 5.1 Ft. per second / (1.55M/Sec)
8. Discharge - 204 C.ft/Sec. 
9. No. of span pillars - 28
10.  Length of span - 40 feet (12.195 M)
11. Bed level, trough at start  - 230.55 (Cms.)
12. Bed level, trough at end  - 229.17 (Cms.)
13. Maximum height above ground level  - 104’.00 (28 M)
14. Construction cost  - Rs. 12.90 lakhs 

St. Xavier Church:
St.Xavier an outstanding and dedicated priest visited the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu from Goa, he never missed the opportunity of visiting Kottar in Kanniyakumari district which was a celebrated commercial centre at that time.  During his stay at Kottar, he used to worship St. Mary in the small temple.  He was popularly known as “Valiya Pandaram” among the people of Kottar.  While he was at Kottar, he averted the invasion of Padagas on the people of Venad which was appreciated by the king, who became closer to the Priest.  In recognition of Xavier’s services, the king allotted a land to him for the purpose of constructing a catholic church at Kottar.  There was already a church in 1544 in the same place, where the St. Xavier’s church stands now. 

The church records show that the church was built in the year 1600 A.D.  In the year 1865, the Church was enlarged and the shrine of our lady was also renovated and vaulted over.  In 1930, the church was raised to the status of a Cathedral.    

In 1942, in commemoration of the fourth centenary of the arrival of St.Xavier in India, a beautiful tower to the saint, a grotto to Out Blessed Mother and a small shrine to St.Ignatius who sent him to India were constructed in the Cathedral premises.  In 1955, the church was further extended and the chapel of Our Lady was incorporated into the enlarged church.

The Church of St. Xavier enjoys a great fame as a place of miracles from early times.  The annual festival is celebrated during the month of November – December lasting for 10 days.

Padmanabhapuram Palace :

The ancient historical town Padmanabhapuram is one of the four municipalities in the district is 55 Km. south of Trivandrum, about two km. east of Thuckalay and 35 km. from Kanyakumari on the Trivandrum-Cape Comerin road.  This town is  surrounded by a fort with an area of 187 acres.  The ancient capital of Travancore might be constructed before AD 1601.  The palace with an area of seven acres, is situated in the very centre on the Padmanabhapuram Fort, amidst hills, dales and rivers.  The palace which is situated in Kanyakumari District is under the control of a Curator of the Archaeological Department of Kerala Government. 

The fort which was built with mud originally was dismantled and reconstructed with granite by Maharaja Marthanda Varma.  The height of the walls varies from 15’ to 24’ according to the inclination of the ground.   

Entrance Hall:-  The entrance to the main edifice is controlled by another ornamental gateway with retainers for watch and ward.  The gabled entrance has wooden ceiling profusely ornamented with lotus medallions.  The most striking feature of the entrance is the clock-tower which is one of the oldest in India erected in 1832 A.D. and still continues to be in working order.

The first floor the Poomuham has a council chamber or Mantrasala which is meant for holding discussions with ministers and prominent citizens.  The floor off this hall, which is polished with the admixture of coconut shell ashes, eggs fermented in molasses and lime reflects the figure like a mirror.  Next to the Mantrasala is the Dancing Hall which was used exclusively for the members of the royal family. 

Adjacent to the Council Chamber and to the south of dancing hall is the dinning hall called “Uttupura”, with two floors (the ground and the first) each measuring roughly 78 by 6 metres and it would accommodate about 2000 people at a time.   Feeding of about 2000 poor persons, it is said, was done here every day and so the king was called ”Dharmaraja”. 

Uppirika Malika : - The most attractive building in the whole palace is the ‘Uppirika Malika’ which consists of three storied.  ‘Uppirika’ is the abbreviated term of ‘Muppirika’ which means the residence of the eldest member of the family.  A wooden cot is erected on the top most floor in the belief that “Lord Vishnu” the chief deity.  The first floor contains a wooden cot made of 64 medicinal plants, on which Maharaja used to sleep.  The medicinal cot was presented to Maharaja “Marthanda Varma” by the Dutch East India Company in 1750, as a mark of friendship. 

The Navarathri Mandapa: - To the west of the Zuppirika Mandapa is the Navarathri Mandapa which is a spacious hall of exquisitely beautiful granite pillars with drooping pendants reminiscent of the Nayakar style of architecture.  In the Navarathri Mandapa, performances of Bharatha Natya and musical recitals took place in the royal presence.  

Entry Fee Rs 25 for Adult & Rs.10 for Children.

Fees for Foreigners : Adult Rs 200 & Children Rs 50

Video and Camera Fee are Rs 1500 & Rs 25 Respectively

Separate fee for Car parking

Pechiparai Dam           

About 43 km. from Nagercoil this dam has been constructed.  This dam in Kalkulam Taluk, was built during the days of the Maharaja Sri Moolam Thirunal across the river Kodayar.  The construction of the dam was designed on the pattern of the Periyar dam in the Madurai district.  The length of the dam is 425.1 mts.  It has a catchment area of 204.8 sq.km.  There is a camp shed provided at the dam side for the visitors.  The weather is very pleasant and hence attracts a large number of tourists.

The reservoir is surrounded by dense forests which are famous for their valuable trees and rich would life such as tiger, elephants, deer etc. A hill tribe, small in number known as ‘Kanikars’ dwell in the dense forests around the lake.


Peer Mohammed Durha :

There is a durha named ‘Peer Mohamed Oliyullah Durha’ at Thuckalay named after the great philosopher Mohamed Appa, who was born in Tenkasi of Tirunelveli District.  After spending sometime in spiritual pursuits in Peermedu of Kerala State he came and stayed at Thuckalay.  Being a Tamil poet of great eminence, he wrote many books on philosophy.  He had intimate relationship with the Kings of Chera dynasty.  It is said that he laid foundation stone for the Padmanabhapuram Granite Fort.  

The Anniversary of the great philosopher poet is celebrated every year on a grand scale on the full moon day in the month of Rajap.  Both the people of Kerala and Tamil Nadu attend the celebrations on large numbers irrespective of their caste, creed and religion.

Tirparappu Water Falls :

The Kodayar makes its descend at Tirparappu and the water fall at this place is about 13km. from Pechiparai dam. 

The river bed is rocky and about 300 feet in length.  The water falls from a height of nearly 50 feet and the water flows for about seven months in a year.  The whole bed above the falls is one rocky mass which extends up to a distance of about quarter of a kilometer upstream where the famous Thirparappu weir has been constructed for supplying water to the paddy fields.  On either side of the river, on the left bank of the river in between the water falls and the weir, there is a temple dedicated to Siva enclosed by strong fortification.   The District Administration has recently constructed a swimming pool for children over here which is very popular among the children.



Maruthuva Malai :
The Maruthuva Malai also known as the Marunthu Vazhum Malai – the abode of medicinal herbs, forms from part of the western ghats.  According to tradition, the Maruthuva Malai is a fragment of the Sanjeevi Mountain, a piece of which fell down here, and it was carried by Hanuman from Mahendragiri to Srilanka for healing the fatal wounds of Lakshmana, the brother of Rama, the epic hero.  It stretches for more than a km, reaching a height of 800 feet at the highest point.  It is about 11km. from   Nagercoil.


Chitharal
Chitharal is a small village situated at a distance of 7 Kms., from Marthandam and 45 Kms, from Kanyakumari. It is famous for the Rock-cut temple.  Hillock at Chitharal has a cave containing Rock-cut sculptures of Thirthankaras and attendent deities carved inside and outside dating back to 9th  Century A.D.  It was converted into Bagavathy Temple in the 13th Century A.D. Cars and Vans can go upto the foot of the hill.  One has to walk for about 10 minutes to reach the temple.  The Jain images have been preserved Central Archeological Survey of India

Muttom Beach

The famous beach at Muttom is located about 16 kms from Nagercoil and 32 kms from Kanyakumari. Muttom is famous for its beautiful landscaping and high rocks dipping into the sea at the beach-side. The sun set view point at Muttom is one of the most Panoramic view points in the district. Another attraction of Muttom is the century old light-house built by the British. However so far this beautiful beach has always been unsafe for the tourists since the rocks on which tourists go to see the sea view are slippery and a number of fatal accidents have occurred over the past few years.  The district administration, decided to put protective stainless steel fencing across the entire dangerous areas and also to put up small open huts at the rock tops for the tourists to sit and watch the massive sea waves leisurely with protection from sun and rain. The fencing work and the small huts have already been completed to the delight of the tourists who mob the beach in hundreds during week ends. Sitting benches have also been constructed in a circle for the elders to chit-chat, relax and enjoy the sun set. Seeing the response of the tourists, the district administration has sanctioned for the construction of a toilet complex, a small shopping complex and a children's park at a cost of Rs.11.60 lakhs and there are plans to undertake sculpture - works across the rocks to add to the ambience of the area.

Sanguthurai Beach

Sanguthurai is a beautiful beach resort and is very convenient for the local population of Nagercoil.  It is only about 10 kms from the city. Unfortunately no infrastructure facilities were available in this beach. The district administration has now sanctioned a project for putting up of a children's park, seating facility, open huts (Kudils) with Terracotta roofs and lighting facility at the beach at a cost of Rs.6.00 lakhs. The entire work has been completed. It is also proposed to put up a few shops for Women Self Help Groups at the site, which can provide eatables to the on coming tourists at the beach side.

Vattakottai (Circular Fort)

VATTAKOTTAI (Agasteeswaram Taluk):    Vattakottai, a granite fort six kilometres north-east of Kanyakumari cape, forms the terminal of a line of ramparts known as the South Tranvancore lines built by Marthanda Varma to serve as defence for Nanjil Nadu.  It is rectangular in  shape and  covers an area of about three and a half acres.  The fort is enclosed by walls 25 to 26 feet high, including the parapet, 29 feet thick at the front, 18 feet at the corners and 6 feet at the rear.  The portion running into the area is the most strongly built under the orders of  De Lannoy during the reign of Mathandavarma (1729-58).  About 1810 A.D. the British forces under the  command of St. Leger marched into Nanjilnad through the Aramboly pass  and demolished the defence lines.  The small river by the side of the fort, and the green vegetation all around add to the scenery of the fort and has now become a holiday resort and picnic centre.

It is said that there is a subway or tunnel about four feet width, supposed to connect the padmanabhapuram palace.  Now the tunnel has been closed.  On the northern side of the fort is found a slop to being the canon from the lower to the upper part of the parapet of the fort.  There is well of about 6’ diameter. The whole wall around the fort is repaired and fresh mortar is being applied. Literary or epigraphical evidences are not in store to know much about Vattakotai.  However, from the evidence left by the fort itself, it may be presumed that his fort was the military base to protect the Kumari port which  was a rich pearl harbour.  Since the emblem of the Pandya Kings was ‘Fish’ and we find this emblem in some of the places of the fort, it can be safely concluded that the Pandya Kings had control over this fort for sometime. 

Next to Vattakottai, we can see the traces of a light house in Leepuram being called  so after Colonel Lee who has destroyed most of the Kadukkarai Kanyakumari Fort in 1806.  This is a picnic spot, the sea is calm and suitable for bathing.

Chothavilai Beach 
This beach is about 10 Kms from Kanyakumari, is one of the best natural beaches of the district. The beach has shallow water and High sand dunes on the back ground. The District Administration has through its own funds and through the funds of MPLAD scheme, put up rest shelters, kudils and a view tower over here for the benefit of tourists. The tourists can reach the beach through the newly laid coastal road which is a very beautiful drive along the sea-coast.

ULAKKAI ARUVI
Ulakkai Aruvi is a natural waterfall situated in Azhagiapandipuram village of Thovalai Taluk.  Water is available in this water fall in the summer season.  Many tourists come here for bathing and to enjoy the nature.  The pathway to this waterfall lies in the Reserve Forest.

MUKKADAL
This is a natural dam constructed by T. Chitirai Maharaja.  If supplies water to Nagercoil Municipality and it is also proposed  to get water from here for Suchindrum and Kanniyakumari.  It is very picturesque spot and ideal for picnics  by  groups.

BAY WATCH  (Water Theme Amusement Park), Kanyakumari

The water theme  amusement park at sunset   point offers a unique way to experience the exotic grandeur of Kanyakumari in its integrals.  Baywatch comes up with a wholesome family entertainment saga of rapturous experience, which leaves you at a point of nonstop excitement in a thrilling and bewitching water world.  Great fun styles equaling international standards keep you on the ecstatic brink of frenzy.  Fun loaded rides like Bumping Car, Sky Cab, Crazy Chairs, Hot Tea Cups, Giant Wheel, Columbus, Wave pool, Milky Way, Multiple Splash, Kids Pool are some of our attractions. The location being a prominent place of national integration, by all means, Baywatch has become the abode of leisure, happiness laughter, family gatherings, etc. The search for providing unique and multiple entertainment facilities that match with international standards pave the way for introduction of India’s first Wax Museum, which is line with the Madam Tussauds Wax Museum at London

List of Lodges in Nagercoil Town Limit :
Sl. No.     Name of Lodge                 -Phone No.

1 Hotel Harris, R.V. Puram, Nagercoil-222681
2 Hotel Parvathi International , Court Road, Nagercoil- 233020
3 Hotel Ganga Tamil Nadu, Court Road, Nagercoil- 232899
4 Hotel Ganga, Alexandra Press Road, Nagercoil- 232599
5 Pioneer paradise Tower Junction, Nagercoil- 238541
6 Addars Lodge, Vadasery- 276581
7 Hotel Rajam, Vadasery- 276581
8 Hotel Vijay, Meenakshipuram, Nagercoil- 235569
9 Bhaskar Lodge, Meenakshipuram, Nagercoil- 222381
10 Hindu Lodge, Meenakshipuram, Nagercoil- 236078
11 Kandeepam Lodge, Meenakshipuram, Nagercoil- 227831
12 Swaminatha Lodge, Meenakshipuram, Nagercoil- 222073
13 Raj Home, Meenakshipuram, Nagercoil- 225563
14 Singar Lodge, Nagercoil- 223347
15 Hotel Vijayatha, Nagercoil- 232206
16 Hotel Parvathy Residency- 224709


Accomodation  Facilities in  Kanyakumari Town:
Kanyakumari STD Code: 04652

1.Hotel Tamil Nadu-246257,246258,246424
2 Kerala  Guest House- 246229
3 Hotel Singaar International- 247991,257992
4 Triveni Tourist Home- 246575
5 Vivekas Tourist Home- 246192,246193
6 Yamuna Lodge- 246356
7 Ramjee Lodge- 246713
8 Cape Residency- 246331
9 Sea Land East Car Street- 246079
10 Gopi Nivas East Car Street- 246355
11 Lekshmi Tourist Home East Car Street- 246333
12 Hotel calcutta East  Car Street- 246499
13 Balaji Tourist Home Middle Street- 246677
14 Ashok Lodge Middle Street- 246895
15 N.R.S. Lodge Middle Street- 246320
16 Bhagavathi lodge East Car Street- 246298
17 Hotel Sagar South Car Street- 246325
18 D.K.V. Lodge- 247123
19 Hotel Jars  Pillaiyar Koil Street- 246446
20 Jothi Lodge  Sannathi Street- 246316
21 Hotel Samudra Sannathi Street- 246162
22 Meenachi Bhavan Sannathi Street- 246230
23 Sri Karthikeya, Beach Road- 246275
24 Sea View Lodge, South Car Street- 247333
25 Monikkam Tourist Home, North Car Street- 246387
26 Siva Tourist Home, East Car Street- 246366
27 Gomaz Lodge, North Street- 246373
28 Sankar Guest House, Main Raod- 246260
29 Ganga lodge, Main Road- 246399
30 Ganga Annexe, Main Road- 246199
31 Vivaldi Lodge, Main Road- 246972
32 Hotel Sangam, Main Road- 246352
33 Ganesh Lodge, Main Road- 246345
34 Ganesh Annexe- 246645
35 Boopathi Lodge, Main Road- 246871
36 Green Palace, Main Road- 246886
37 Amudham Lodge, High Ground- 246262
38 V.K.N. Lodge, Main Road- 246784
39 Kumari Bhavan, Main Road -246284
40 Nageswari Tourist Home, Main Road -246358
41 Hotel Narmada, Kovalam Road.- 246365
42 Tri Sea Lodge, Kovalam Road- 246283
43 Hotel Safan, Kovalam Road- 246233
44 Tri Sea Cottage- 246283
45 Jabasakthi Lodge, Vivekanandapuram- 246327
46 Hotel Durga, Vivekandapuram- 246912
47 Central Lodge,  Vivekanandapuram- 246254
48 Sivas Residency, South Car Street- 246150
49 Vivekananda Kendra- 246250
50 Township Lodge, Main Road- 247694
51 Hotel Rajali, Main Road- 236452
52 Central P.W.D. Holiday Home, Government of  India- 246994
53 Sea View Lodge, South Car Street- 247841

By Road

Chennai 744 km distance.

By Air

The nearest Airports
Thiruvananthapuram- 93 km
Chennai (Anna International Airport)- 744 km

By Train

Connected with all important cities of the Nation from kanniyakumari and Nagercoil Railway Stations.